I am an academic, advocate, and mentor. I’ve studied psychology, sociology, adolescence, feminism and gender, and media studies within and outside of universities for more than twenty years. I have a Master’s degree in Social Science and I stay current with research journals and literature.
I am also an avid consumer of pop culture. I use my fandom to express myself, to build and foster community, and to create connections with my audience.
My research interests are in the portrayal of trauma and mental health in mainstream media and the complexities of narrative therapy in practice.
Mental Health in the Movies
- The Dying Swan (Black Swan)
- The Limitations of Brightness(All the Bright Places)
- From Girl to King: Borderline Personality Disorder (Girl, Interrupted and The King of Staten Island)
- The Doctor Wonderful Problem (Good Will Hunting and Antwone Fisher)
- Anakin Daenerys: On the concept of blorbo and other characters who are mine
- Motherless: At age twenty-one I was the eldest person in my whole family
- Coffee Shop AU: Depression is the Borg and Seven of Nine is also named Annika
More coming soon.